Saturday, January 12, 2008

Rangitoto Island, Mission Bay, and Rose Gardens







Today we had a our first organized adventure! Rangitoto Island was formed by a volcano about 600 years ago. It is one of the youngest land masses on earth. No people are allowed to live on the island so that it can be studied. By way of ferry we arrived on the island and hiked to the top of the volcanic island. Wow. The trail was formed by the actual lava that erupted and it got pretty rocky and steep after while. The hiking was well worth it because the summit had a fantastic view of Auckland city and the green blue water that surrounds it. After our hike we headed back to Auckland on a ferry to soak up the sun at Mission Bay for the remainder of the afternoon. For dinner we had fish and chips but I have yet to try fish. I promise I will try it before I leave.




2 comments:

amberdawn said...

You know that feeling that you sometimes get when you really wish you were doing something that someone else is doing because it is so extremely cool? That's how I felt looking at all of your pictures! It looks like you are all having so much fun. I am so glad that I at least get to see everything that is going on over there! I love you all... tell Mal and Britt that I love them too!!

kalli said...

Thanks for the pics!
Where is all the hot island boys?