Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sweet As

Yahoo! One week down of my experience as a Level 7-8 teacher at Colwill school. Level 7-8 is the equivalent of 7th grade in the states. I didn't expect the schools to be much different from the states but I was definitley wrong. The best part about school in New Zealand is morning tea. No matter what the age or school you get a 20 minute morning tea break for a snack and rest. Swimming is a part of the required curriculum! Every classroom teacher teaches swimming to the class at least twice a week. The second day I was teaching I found myself out at the school pool teaching swimming to a girl who had never swam in her life! I will definitley have to brush up on my swimming skills. New Zealand schools dont use textbooks. The teachers basically make up what they teach according to the skills of the students. It will be a challenge to not use textbooks as a guide for curriculum.
I learned how to play rugby this week too. We were scheduled to play in a regional rugby tournament but it got rained out on Saturday. Okay, when I say rained out I mean rained out! It has been raining for three days straight without stopping. I have obviously never seen that much precip in my life.
You may have noticed the title of the post: Sweet As. Well, that's a token NZ phrase. Basically put as behind any word and go with it. Some of my favorites: Sweet as, bad as, mean as, fat as...etc....
I love this place and everything about it. Leaving will be the hardest thing!

3 comments:

amberdawn said...

Sweet as it gets! I love that you are already in the schools teaching! We start in about a week and a day. Crazy. We're so not into it this semester. Everyone's like, practicum starts next week...? When did that creep up on us? Remember last semester how everyone was kept saying, "Practium is only five weeks away!" Well let's just say that we're totally oblivious to the entire subject. How awesome is that?

Kimberlee said...

Is it as sweet as El Rancho chips and salsa??

Jesse & Amber said...

We use those same phrases just with another "s" at the end of as. Larissa, Amber and I really miss you. We had dinner with the gang yesterday and it is not always the same without you.