Thursday, November 13, 2008

3 Wishes from a Genie


I'm finishing up my lead teaching in 4th grade next Friday. I can't begin to describe how much I've learned from being thrown into a classroom and be held accountable for assessing the growth and progress of 26 kids. It's a huge task/responsibility/challenge/trial but with plenty of rewards. Let me share an experience


A. Yesterday for journal write I had the students write on the topic... 3 wishes from a genie.....Even I was excited to write about that topic. My 3 wishes were 1. unlimited amounts of money 2. the ability to fly 3. the ability to transport myself anywhere in the world at the snap of a finger. I eagerly shared my journal writing with the students because I figured their wishes would be similar in that they wished for some far off wish that is impossible to obtain in the first place. Let's just say I was off. After each student shared I just kept feeling more ashamed of my journal entry. My students were asking for wishes like custody of a baby sister, a new job for my mom, more money for my family. Basically, I am so blessed and my kids have alot more on their plate then finishing the math homework from Thursday night. It was a real eye opener and reminds me of the unique oppurtunity I have to serve and influence the students that I teach

1 comment:

Jeff and Whitney said...

Thanks for sharing that insight, Larissa. Teaching truly is a humbling experience. Miss you!