Tuesday, March 23, 2010

pumping petrol in another country

Today was the very first day I have pumped gas...petrol in New Zealand speak...since I have been driving.  I am pretty sure I looked like a weirdo trying to figure out where to swipe my card at the pump.  Turns out New Zealand doesn't have such a feature. Here you still have to walk inside and pay.  Lame.  I go inside to pay and he asks me what kind of petrol I want. ummm the unleaded kind??  They go by number here and so I had to guess what was closest to unleaded.  I think I picked right but if my car blows up sometime this week we all know why. 
and one more funny thing that happened to me today... We have a small bathroom counter...bench in New Zealand speak...and I usually put my hair dryer, makeup, straightener in the sink while I get ready in the morning.  I always check to make sure it's not wet for obvious reasons.  -Except today I didn't.  I laid my straightener in the sink and upon plug in the brightest and loudest spark know to man happened.  I jumped back (with no injury) and found a black pile of smoke where my straightener was.   That was not safe. 

5 comments:

Kerri said...

sounds like the adjustment period isn't over yet. pay at the pump is the greatest!

is your straightener dead now? glad it didn't shock you!

Katie Petersen said...

Wow! Larissa, it sounds like you are loving life over there. Hopefully one day I can visit you! That would be fun.

McKenna said...

I am so glad that you didn't perish in that ridiculous spark! You are still one of the funniest people I know. Keep the updates coming, I love them! :)

LeashyLoo said...

Hey Larissa! I only ever get gas at Pak N Save in Albany because if you spend a certain amount there you get fuel vouchers for 4 cents off a litre or 6 cents of a litre etc. They have the "swipe your card" machines because there is no other way to pay. It's nice to have some normalcy in that department! I bet you are loving driving and having more freedom!

Mallory Jo Searle said...

Oh Larissa, I can just see your face!!! I am glad there was no injury. I do love reading all about life over there and the New Zealand lingo always makes me smile. One of these days we're coming to visit. I have to show Maya a true kiwi lifestyle!!! Thanks for being awesome!