Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pirate Husband

I'm happy to report that Jason's cornea transplant was a success. After a 2 hour surgery and 2 day stay at the hospital he's home-hopefully letting his eye heal. He received a 40 year old person's cornea and that's all we know about the donor. I was hoping to get more info so that we could send out a thank you note to the family, but it wasn't possible.


He has stiches in his eye and they will remain their for 18 more months. The eye heals very slowly! He was able to take off his eye patch/bandanges this morning and "see" for the first time. Jason says it's already an improvement from what he saw before without his contacts in. He says that he doesn't see ghosing images like he usually does. He compared his vision to opening your eyes under water and seeing general blurry but still making sense of what you see. I know that doesn't sound very hopeful but even that is an improvement from what it was before without his contact. He's been told that his vision will see a steady improvement over a 6-12 month period. Each week he will see his doctor and hopefully be able to see more letters on the eye chart. By 6 months we'll know just what his vision will be. Every day since the surgery his vision has improved.


There was only one piece of bad news from the surgery... When they removed his diseased cornea they discovered that he has a cataract on his eye. It's a routine thing to remove but not after a transplant. He'll have to live with it for at least 18 months while the new cornea heals.


I had a little "get well" bag to give him after the operation and he loved it. As a joke I put a pirate eye patch in the bag and he totally loves it. He swears he will wear it to church for the sole reason of it being cooler than white bandage. Are you kidding me? That's my pirate.


He's doing fine managaing his eye condition but how much easier it will be when he doesn't have to squint or hold things right to his face just to see it. He told me the other day that he's excited to see individual blades of grass or the lines on a leaf without the aid of contacts!

3 comments:

Andrew & Elise said...

I'm so glad it was a success!!! You'll definitely need to post pictures of him with his pirate patch.

{kim} said...

We've all been wondering how the surgery went. Took you long enough to update! I hope his vision continues to improve. Is he going to get the surgery on the other eye?

Brittany said...

Yay! I'm so happy we was able to have the surgery. I'm glad you guys are doing well. I miss ya!