Saturday, May 1, 2010

Post Marathon


I did it. Rotorua Marathon Complete.
The marathon:

Race Day: Rotorua is 4 hours away from Auckland so we spent the weekend in a hotel. On race day I ate a light breakfast 3 hours before race time. By the time 9am came around I was more than ready. The doubts and fears were long past, I was ready to prove to myself that I'm tough enough for a marathon. Before the start of the marathon there was a Haka!! Like every big event in New Zealand, a Haka always kicks it off. For Americans reading this post, it's a Maori war dance that's sometimes attempted by football teams like BYU. Too bad, they don't do it right at all. It makes a really big impression when big Maori dudes do it with the tongue, eyes, tatoos, and tribal dress. The Haka definitely got me ready to do it to it.

The marathon course was measured in kilometers which made me have to really adjust my pacing and timing. I still think in miles so seeing signs like "40KM" to go was a bit daunting. The race looped around Lake Rotorua and took you through some hard core New Zealand "bush".

I felt super duper great for the first 32km of the race. I realized that the original pace I set was too slow for me so in the middle of the run I made an adjustment and gained a lot of ground because of it.




Crossing the finish line was the best thing that ever happened to me. I can't describe to you how tired I was. My legs were so done. It was mind that got me to the finish line and that's it. My legs froze when I stopped and I had to get assistance from the workers. I guess that's to be expected.



Jason caught this amazing picture right after I crossed the finish line. It pretty much sums up how I felt. Priceless.


These beauties are my REWARD for running the marathon. Life doesn't get better than this.

4 comments:

McKenna said...

Okay I am SO proud and jealous that you ran a marathon! It's something I've always wanted to do but am currently taking no steps towards accomplishing...

I absolutely love your new shoes. LOVE.

The other day there was a big story on the news about birds that were having to find a new nesting place due to the downtown construction. Immediately I thought of you and your love of Utah news.

That is all. Love you.

EM. said...

You are my hero. Way to go Larissa! That is such an awesome accomplishment.

Katie Petersen said...

I am so proud of you for running a marathon! Seriously, that is incredible! One day maybe I will as well. Remember when we ran the 10K with you? Actually, let me re-phrase that. Remember the time you ran the 10K super fast and Mag and I ran the 10K together at more of a jogging speed? You are my hero basically!

Kerri said...

whoa, you are way too intense for me. nice shoes, you obviously deserved them!