Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Birthday Extravaganza

My birthday was fantastic. Jason managed to replicate the one meal that I have on my birthday every year without fail. That would be El Rancho. How did he do it in New Zealand? He found a store called Mexican Specialties that imports legit Mexican ingredients. The store is even run by a guy named Jose from Mexico. Enough said, of course it’s going to be legit. When Jason walked in the door from the store my heart dropped when I saw HOMEMADE FLOUR and CORN TORTILLAS, CHILES POBLANOS, FAJITA SEASONING, HORCHATA, SALSA VERDE, GREEN CHILE ENCHILADA SAUCE, among other various spices. I might add that he bought an ECONO size can of Pico de Gallo. Think Sam’s Club size.

Though I couldn’t wear the sombrero and eat El Rancho with my family in Arizona, I got green chile cheese crisps, Navajo tacos, homemade salsa, and fried ice cream. My birthday is complete with those ingredients.

The night of my birthday we went to a
Train concert. You know, the “Hey, Soul Sister” song? The venue was tiny so we were feet away from the stage. It was quite different from the American concert experience. It was
fun to go to a concert with my hubby though we did feel like old married people with the likes of screaming teenagers all around us.








Perhaps the best part of the train concert was this beauty of a picture. Gem studded leggings. Enjoy.

















And there’s more…
The Andertons also had a birthday celebration for me. You should know that the Andertons are 100% my family. I stayed with them the veryfirst time I came to New Zealand as a BYU student teacher. From the first week it felt like I knew them for my whole life. They are still very much a big part of my life and I find myself at
their house all the time.
Natalie threw a Mexican fiesta for me last night.
She decorated the house in Cinco de Mayo style and even
went as far as placing luminaries
outside the house!! When I pulled into the driveway to see bright colored balloons and luminaries I had to smile. How is it that I’m so lucky to know them? They amaze me. Natalie made my favorite cake ever, carrot cake.
Brooke did a great job helping me
blow out the candles!
We enjoyed 100% authentic pico de
gallo, guacamole, and bean burros all compliments of Natalie!
To top it off, she placed pictures of Arizona all over the room, just to make me feel at home. Again, I had absolutely zero reasons to be homesick on my birthday. Thank you Carol, Natalie,Nikki, Daniel, and special guest ofhonor…Brooke! You made my day X10000!
And just for kicks and giggles, here is
a picture of Pak ‘N’ Save, where we buy all our groceries. I think I’ve mentioned before that you have tobuy plastic bags here to put your groceries in.
Alternatively, you can just grab boxes from the checkout area, as shown . I
still get a kick out of it. Sometimes when the boxes are running low on busy days you have to stake out a box long before you pay so you don’t miss
out. The day this picture was taken, it wasn’t busy so there
were mountains of boxes.

4 comments:

McKenna said...

Oh my goodness, I love everything about this post! Sounds like you had an amazing birthday complete with Mexican food, and I'm totally loving the box picture. So funny! The real crowning glory of this post though would have to be the rhinestone cowgirl picture. Wow. Where can I get some of those?

e.m. said...

50 points for Jason. :) I'm glad you got El Rancho for your birthday. So awesome.

PS- Happy late birthday.

Jeff and Whitney said...

Oh I'm so happy that you had so many fantastic people ready to celebrate your birthday in such awesome Mexican fashion. I really love that, and you, a lot!

amber said...

What a sweeeeeeeeet husband! I love the box picture. I thought about you on your birthday, wishing I could call you and sing to you but then I remembered that you lived all the way on the other side of the globe and it made me sad for a minute.. love you. Miss you!!