Friday, October 22, 2010

My Hero



Because October is Breast Cancer awareness month and because I miss my mom and because she deserves some recognition- this post is for her.

This week she's walking in the annual 10K breast cancer walk in Winslow and she's also being recognized as a fighter/survivor in her cancer battle at a home football game. I'm still kicking myself for barely missing these 2 events by a week.

I remember during her chemotherapy and radiation treatment how positive she was. To this day I cannot remember even one complaint from her. Even more miraculous is how she refused to take sick days on days of her treatments. She would work all day as a 3rd grade teacher, drive to Flagstaff for chemotherapy and be at work the next day. As tired as she was, I can only assume that her drive and determination to keep going was a definite factor in her speedy recovery.

If there's one thing I've learned from my mom, it's definitely to forget yourself and go to work. Selflessness is a tough trait to emulate but I have a great example to follow. I still wonder how on earth I was blessed to be a daughter of someone so good. I am not kidding when I say I have never heard my mom yell or raise her voice-ever. That boggles my mind.

It's been nearly 4 years since her diagnosis and recovery. She's still cancer free, for which I am grateful.

Mom, you truly are a fighter, survivor, and hero. I'll never be as awesome as you but I'll try and follow in your footsteps.

Yahoo for October!!


2 comments:

Andrew & Elise said...

What an amazing woman! I really strive to be like that someday. I'm glad she's getting recognized for her awesome-ness. She deserves it!

{kim} said...

Mom rocks! We are so lucky to have her.