Friday, October 29, 2010

Summertime is here

I have been anxiously awaiting our very first beach day of the summer.  My wish came true during Labour Day weekend.  We went to Te Arai Point just off of Highway 1 past Te Hana. 

Te Arai point is the ideal local kiwi beach.  It's off the beaten track, never ever crowded, surrounded by some neat bush walks, great waves, and no tourists. 
Something I've learned since becoming a pseudo-kiwi is that you don't go to crowded beaches.  If there are more than 50 people on the beach you just drive to the next one.  I guess it's that easy when you are always within a hop, skip, and jump to the ocean.  

After being here for a year, I actually do feel like somewhat of a local.  Here I am reading my book at the beach while watching my husband throw a rugby ball with his brothers.  This is so kiwi.  It's moments like this, that remind me how lucky I am.

I'll never forget that feeling I  had  when I stepped off that plane in Auckland for the first time in 2008. Not knowing anything about New Zealand or Jason for that matter.  Yet, the strongest impression of my life occurred and I had the most peaceful feeling about Auckland being home.  3 years and a happy marriage later, I understand now why this is home.  


As all you Americans are trick-or-treating, lighting pumpkin scented candles, and wearing  turtlnecks-I'll be on the beach working on my tan. The never-ending rain during winter makes the arrival of summer that much sweeter.  

Here's to many, many more beach days this summer!

Cheers!





3 comments:

McKenna said...

I'm totally jealous of you and your beach days! I want to live by a beach, but alas, I do not. Love you :)

e.m. said...

Jealous to say the least. We need to visit. Seriously. This is getting ridiculous.

Jason said...

Summer is awesome... Im glad its finally here, dont worry we will be squeezing in plenty of beach days in the coming months!!!