Thursday, November 25, 2010

Authentic Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving
 For the past few weeks I've been secretly sad about missing Thanksgiving for the first time ever.  I figured if I just stayed away from Facebook and avoided calling home during the week I wouldn't get too homesick and might not even realize I was missing it. 

Turns out I didn't miss it. Jason planned an authentic Thanksgiving complete with all the trimmings. His family was in on it too-I never caught on.  
After work Jason's mum picked me up from work, which is  out of the ordinary. She said we needed to hurry up and drive to Wellsford because Jason's dad was very sick.  She didn't give details and didn't need to, I was convinced at that statement.  

We took the hour drive and as I walked in the front door to the house I was surprised to hear "Happy Thanksgiving" from the whole family!  I was 100% surprised.  

The table was set with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, gravy, sweet potato pie (well they used kumara since sweet potato doesn't exist here), and other essentials.  Jason took the day off to slave in the kitchen for 6 hours.  He even made pumpkin pie!!! 

 In New Zealand pumpkin is eaten as a dinner food. It is roasted, blended for soup, and used in stir fry-never ever dessert.  It was really fun to see his family nervously  try it for the first time.  Reminds me of the first time I tried roasted pumpkin.

I really enjoyed sharing Thanksgiving with his family.  There was a special nostalgia that came along with sharing this special holiday with someone for the very first time.  We even went around the table and said all the things we were grateful for.  

During this Thanksgiving I couldn't help but think how thankful I am for his family. I'm grateful to be part of a new family, culture, and place just by marrying my love.
I also couldn't help but think how there was no other place I'd rather be.  

And no post about Thanksgiving is complete without mentioning what you are thankful for.  

I am thankful to be married in the temple.  I am thankful for Heavenly Father's hand in my life. I realize how blessed I am. I am grateful for the His Plan of Happiness and that my family can be together forever. 



I am thankful for the handsome guy that loves me.  His patience and love for me boggles my  mind.  I am grateful that I married him. I feel like I'm just starting to scratch the surface when it comes to sharing your life with someone and growing together.  


I am also grateful for sushi dates, running shoes, and books.  These 3 things bring me a tremendous amount of happiness.  

Mom:  You should know that Jason recited the Thanksgiving/Pilgrim poem that you made us learn last year.  You would have been proud.

4 comments:

Jason said...

I am so happy that you liked it. I was a little worried it wasn't going to measure up to your expectations. I was so happy when I saw you smile it made my day. Thanks for being a great wife.

Kerri said...

Okay, I was head over heels in love with your husband and in-laws when I read your post. What an amazing day. I'm glad you got to celebrate thanksgiving... it's the best holiday by far!

LeashyLoo said...

Awww....Happy (American) Thanksgiving Larissa! I'm glad that you had such a special one. I missed Canadian Thanksgiving this year and well...it just isn't the same without it.

Brittany said...

How GREAT is Joson? Oh my. Reading this almost made me cry...no joke. I'm so happy for you guys. Glad things are going so well.