Sunday, December 26, 2010

NEW YEARS / RICHARDS FAMILY REUNION

Well I figured it was about time I posted a blog here for my beautiful wife. If you havn't figured it out already, let me introduce myself. My name is Jason; Larissa's other half. This is a special time of year, Chistmas has come and gone so fast and the New Year is just around the corner...
.
New Years Day has a similar feel to Christmas in New Zealand, subtract presents and Christmas trees and the affair is almost identical. A typical New Years celebration consists of sun, beaches, and a lot of food. However this year; courtesy of my sister Winsome, we are for the first time in a few years having a family reunion over the New Years period.

The event will commence on the 31st of December and run all the way through until the 4th of January. Larissa and myself will be there for the duration of the event and we are looking forward to some of the activities that have been planned out. Some of which include...
  • Speedway Western Springs
  • Mongolian Barbeque 
  • Beach activities 
  • Group activities
  • Sports
So far there is rumored to be around 30-40 people attending, my parents property is large so camping will most likely be a common sight this New Years. My most favourite part of the holiday season is sharing these traditions and fond past times with my wife. I know everything we do here is so vastly different from holidays celebrated in the States. Sharing these parts of my life makes me feel connected with her and my home.

Next year we will be making the big move stateside so having this quality time with Larissa and my family is so important to me. I'm looking forward to catching up with all of my cousins, uncles and aunties.

Beaches, barbeque and family... It doesn't get much better than that!!!

Below are a few pictures of some of the events happening this New Years... I CANT WAIT!!!

Mongolian Barbeque... enough said, this one is going to be a hit!
Backyard Cricket a must have summer sport
Speedway Western Springs, a favourite childhood past time of mine
Te Arai Point, the beach of choice for the Richards family
Rugby, im sure we will fit this one in somewhere. Cant wait!!!
Sack races, this should be interesting

1 comment:

{larissa} said...

you described it like a true kiwi! except you left out one thing=hangi!!!! though no one would get that anyways...