Friday, January 21, 2011

new habits

After living somewhere other than your country of origin you expect to pick up new lingo, habits, tastes, etcetera.  I am no exception.  Of those newly acquired quirks, some of the most notable include:

Cheers-yes, I love this one.  I pretty much end all my emails in “Cheers” and am now fully aware of when to say it in a public setting. If someone does you a favour, gives great service, or agrees with you then you could insert a healthy “Cheers” of acknowledgement.  I wish Americans said this.  It’s so much better than “Have a nice day.” 

Fruit shops-I know, I know I talk about them excessively.  The truth is, my expanded and healthier outlook on nutritious food all began with buying fruit at the fruit sheds on the side of the road.  I love that fruit and vegetables are bought according to season.  I love that 2 years ago I didn’t know what half of the products were but now I regularly buy seaweed, leeks, portobello mushrooms, kumara, pumpkin (for dinner-not dessert), capsicum, coriander, and golden kiwi.*
*Fruit World is not my favourite fruit shed but always has a great selection. 


Dryer. I do not own one.  Partly because we're poor newlyweds but mostly because no one uses them here.  It is viewed as a huge waste of money to dry your clothes in a dryer.  Everyone has a clothes line.  The first few times my laundry got soaking wet from a random rainfall I found myself saying "why me?"  These days, not a chance.  I'm converted.  Dryers are a bust.  


Dishwasher. I do not own one.  This one boggled my mind for quite a long time.  I found myself wondering why people opted to do dishes by hand even when they have a dishwasher.  Kiwis are very aware of being green and economically friendly.  Hand washed dishes are just part of the gig.  
                                                    My dishwasher is seen below...


Additionally, when doing dishes by hand you absolutley do not rinse the soap off of the dishes.  The soap suds remain on the dishes while you dry them.  I ignored this Kiwi norm for quite a while but these days I don't think twice to keep the soap on the dishes.

Barefoot.  I love this.  You can go anywhere without shoes here; and I mean anywhere.  Whether it is walking around in the forest or going to the grocery store, barefoot is fair game.  Just today, we went to the cinema and Jason's 15 year old brother did not wear shoes.  
My first experience shopping without shoes!

Beach gear on the go.  When you're always in  close proximity to the ocean you have to be ready for a beach day at all times.  I now have a designated beach bag with sunscreen, towels, togs, and beach chairs.  We are always ready for a beach day!

The designated beach gear carrier



I love this place.


Cheers!



4 comments:

Omniglot said...

I sign cheers on most of my emails. Going barefoot is still a little tough when it snows, though. When are you guys coming back up to Utah?

Kerri said...

I need some of those pumpkin recipes please!
I don't use a dishwasher either, I prefer my dishes to be hand washed. But not rinsing the soap off? Doesn't that give you the... um... runs? Different soap there maybe? OR do you hand dry, I refuse to hand dry. I need to know, if I'm wasting my time and water rinsing I will stop asap!

{kim} said...

I can't wait for Jason to learn some new American things when you guys move here! Woo hoo!!

Mallory Jo Searle said...

Loved this! I can totally relate to the absence of dishwashers and dryers! I admit to making Brett eat hot-cross buns that I bought and I must say I loved his bewildered expression and reaction. Reminds me of our list we made of "weird NZ stuff." I have started a "weird UK stuff" one as well!!! Miss you