My work colleagues and I stayed on Denarau Island at a resort. This second Fiji experience was quite different from the first. This time I stayed on the Nadi side of Vitu Levu and not the Suva side. Nadi is the dry side of the island and doesn't rain nearly as much. I'm happy to report that there were only a few tropical downpours none of which, got in the way. The first time I was in Fiji it rained the whole time!
Though the work conference was full on and consumed most of the daylight hours, I did manage to find time for fun.
- I woke up before sunrise so that I could lift. By sunrise my lifting session was over and I was ready to hit the beach for a sunrise run. My cool down consisted of a dip in the ocean.
- I ate coconut and pineapple like nobody's business and had papaya juice for breakfast,lunch, and dinner.
- One of the highlights of my trip was a Fijian Bobo massage. Coconut oils and a 1 hour massage on a beach in Fiji--need I say more? I also got a pedicure done entirely in coconut milk.
- I visited the largest Hindu temple in the southern hemisphere. The colourful temple and intricate detail were impressive (see slideshow).
- Had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe' FIJI
Of course these were just side notes to the purpose of the trip. The work conference was very productive and we were very blessed to have Elder Hamula teach us. He is the 1st counselor in the Pacific Area Presidency and a member of the 1st quorum of the Seventy.
Some thoughts on Fiji:
I love this place. I never envisioned myself being lucky enough to ever see it in person but here I am. It truly is as good as it looks in pictures. Those coffee mugs and office photos with beaches on them really do portray Fiji in all its glory.
Fiji's number one source of revenue is tourism. It is easy to see why once you visit. Fiji does tourism right. And the tourism is not the Hawaii kind of tourism. It's not a bunch of McDonald's and Wal Marts transplanted onto an island. Fiji is Fiji. There is no commercialisation.
Without further ado--Fiji in all its glory