Saturday, March 19, 2011

roadkill

While running I find it essential to tune out.  You have to be able to let your mind relax a little so that your body can carry out the running part that much easier.  I think it is very difficult to have a great workout if you are constantly thinking about how fast your mile pace is or how much longer you have to run to burn X amount of calories.  I tend to feel disappointed in myself if I focus too much on the expectations.  Sometimes my running watch can even throw me off.  If I look at my pace too much I find myself thinking, "is this workout ever going to end?"  

There are a few tried and true ways that I tune out.  I often choose to run on the beach because it always helps me forget all my stress and worries.  I would say this is true for most people.  My ipod is also a trusty source for helping me get through a workout.  I like to run in the early mornings before people and cars are out.  I love having the roads to myself.  

It never fails to amaze me how well I run when I'm able to tune out.  Today I ran a 1/2 marathon (13 miles) in preparation for my marathon in 7 weeks.  I ran along a rural highway off the beaten track.  It's a lonely, hilly, and long road, with a potential to burn out when you are running all by yourself in the middle of nowhere.  But, I rocked it.  I committed myself from the very first kilometre.  I started my watch and was oh so tempted to look down at my time very early in the run but I resisted.  Finally, when I couldn't take it anymore I checked my time expecting to see 30 minutes in, no no, I had run 58 minutes.  That was a huge mental boost for me.  The next hour of the run went equally well. 

Today's run-Te Hana to Mangawhai Heads 22km

 I should also mention that I counted each piece of roadkill I passed along the way.  Yeah, I know, weird.  But it's just one of those simple things you do when you tune out. There were 4 possums and 3 birds in all.  I didn't even realize I was counting and categorizing them until afterwards when I excitedly told Jason that I saw 7 pieces of roadkill along the way.  
I'm sure anyone who reads this can think of something random they've done while working out just to tune out.  

My point to all this is that the mile pace and calories burn automatically when you count roadkill. 
The start of the run

No, actually my point is to tune out and let your body do the work.

Cheers

1 comment:

Kerri said...

so the secret to running a marathon is roadkill... got it