Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter in Auckland

It is barely afternoon on Easter Sunday and I have had enough Cadbury chocolate eggs and hot cross buns to feed a family of 5.  Yes, hot cross buns are a real thing.  Last year I was still too Americanized to even try these things but this year I went all out Kiwi style.  The Easter Bunny hid hot cross buns and giant Cadbury eggs around our living room. 

Easter Sunday was also special for another reason.  This was our last Sunday to attend our ward.  We have been attending Jason's home ward for over a year now.  I have really enjoyed going to church with people that Jason has known for his whole life.  I have felt welcomed and loved with open arms.  


 We have felt so grateful to serve in our callings.  My precious sunbeams call me Mr. Richards.  This was spoken by one of the sunbeams last week: "Mr. Richards, is that your husband Brother Richards?"  


This Sunday I felt particularly grateful for my teaching assignment. I taught the sunbeams about the Resurrection of our Saviour.  Through pictures and objects we discussed how Jesus prayed in the Garden, died on the Cross, was placed in a tomb, lived again through Resurrection, had his disciples feel the nail prints.  It was a very moving experience for me. I have never been in a place to explain the Resurrection to small children.  I could see that the children were upset by the Crucifixion pictures.  I had to rely on my own knowledge and testimony of the Resurrection to bear my witness about our Saviour.  I will never forget this small experience.  I think I got a tiny glimpse of what it is like to teach your own children about the Saviour.  What a blessing and sacred responsibility that is!






Most important of all, I would share with you that I have a testimony of the Resurrection.  I know in my heart, through prayer, fasting, and repentance, that our Saviour lives.  I am so incredibly grateful for this knowledge.  I am humbled that I have been given the charge to live the gospel and raise a family in the covenant.  Take 4 minutes and 25 seconds to watch the Easter message above from an Apostle of the Lord.  You will be left feeling comforted and grateful for the Saviour!

Happy Easter

1 comment:

Bryn said...

Larissa! First off your blog is delightful, second off I am so sad that when you move here, we're moving to Virginia! I fully agree with you about the bittersweetness of it all. We have loved our time in Winslow, but it's also exciting to go somewhere new. Good luck with your overseas trek here!