Sunday, April 3, 2011

the move

Since we made it official and bought our plane tickets to the States, life has been going at a very fast pace.  Every minute in New Zealand has become precious.

It feels really strange that we are going back.  In my mind I was prepared to be in New Zealand for at least a few more years.  The answers and feelings of comfort regarding where we are supposed to be were undeniable.  We know we are doing the right thing.   Heavenly Father has a way of leading and guiding us to make decisions that follow His will and plan.  I take comfort in that even if it is a little scary. 

The move doesn't feel real yet.  I can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that I'm taking my handsome kiwi husband back to beautiful Arizona.  Arizona has never been part of our story.  Everything happened in New Zealand-it's where our life started together.  This is a new chapter in our story that has totally come out of left field.  It is exciting and unexpected. 

You would not believe how challenging an overseas move can be.  I am constantly making decisions about what to take and what to leave behind.  At this stage we have sold virtually everything of value that we own.  Our living room has 1 couch and 2 chairs in it, and nothing more.  We're earnestly trying to sell our car right now--I pray that we sell it before we leave.  Our cupboards are down to nothing more than rice and green beans.  Basically we are moving our whole life across the ocean with 4 suitcases and 2 carry ons.  When we get to the other side we'll be starting from scratch again.  

I am eager to share Arizona with Jason.   I don't think he has any idea just how beautiful an Arizona sunset is or just how hot,windy, cold, fill in the blank Arizona can be.Jason will learn to appreciate red dirt and rocks, I hope.  I am pretty sure he is unaware that when he goes anywhere in a small town that everyone will know who he is.  He might not know that the public library is in an old church building or that our Dairy Queen is nothing more than a shack with 2 church pews in it.  I know that he'll be shocked to learn that people have sprinklers in their yards and that you              actually have to water the grass if you want it to live.  He will wonder why Americans are so patriotic.  Fact:  I am very excited to show him a 4th of July in person.  He will love to see snow in person and he will see what all the hype is over a winter Christmas. 

Bittersweet. That is how I would describe this new chapter.  Bitter because we love New Zealand.  Sweet because it is exciting to move forward and achieve the goals we have put in place for our future.

3 comments:

Jason said...

It is bitter sweet. But it will be more sweet than bitter in the end. I'm goung to miss my whanau like you wouldn't believe but this is the right choice...

Love you

Mallory Jo Searle said...

Good luck with the big move. It is such a huge job, I can definitely relate. So excited for your new adventure and to be able to share with Jason your true love for Arizona :)

Brittany said...

Good luck with everything. Hopefully we can see you sometime! We just might have to make the trip to Winslow!