Thursday, April 7, 2011

new tastes

Something has changed...
My eating habits are so incredibly different from the way I ate in college.   
I think New Zealand has converted my appetite to something much better. I will make myself sound like a hippy with all of the foods I eat-I'm not, I just think healthy food tastes better than crap.  

  • Tofu--I have discovered tofu to be an inexpensive meat substitute that is rich in calcium and protein.  My favourite thing about tofu is that you can make it whatever taste you want according to how you season it.
  • Sushi & Seaweed-I wish I was Japanese.  No wonder they are the healthiest people on earth.  I think seaweed is the best thing that has happened to me.  It tastes so good.  Can you buy that in America? 
  • Soy milk-This is huge in my world.  I like soy because it gives me the calcium I need since I hate milk.  I also like soy because it is inexpensive and has many healthy properties to it.  I use it in cereal and always in hot chocolate.
  • No Refined Sugars-I randomly decided to cut all forms of refined sugars out of my daily food intake.   I have lost my cravings for sweets all together. I'm sure it's not permanent but I am enjoying the time away from nasty sweets.
  • Eat meat sparingly- Since I've gotten married I've lost my taste for meat.  I eat meat maybe 2-3 times a week.  I know this isn't necessarily healthy but it has expanded my horizon to healthier choices likes beans and tofu.
  • Couscous- it is not as heavy as rice and has a much higher nutritional value as compared to white rice.  
  • Eggs-With my lack of daily meat eating, I have taken on board omelets and scrambled eggs a frequent dinner item. It helps that my husband is the greatest omelet chef known to man.
  • Fruit and Vegetables-I know I harp on this way too much but it is so easy to buy a plethora of fruits and veggies much lower than grocery store price in New Zealand.  My health has benefited ten fold from this.
  • Peanut Butter-I eat so much peanut butter.  It has become my source of protein and energy for long endurance runs in addition to one of my favourite tasty treats.  
  • Whole Grains-I always stick to whole grains when it comes to bread and cereal products.  I avoid the sugary cereals and stick to Weetbix (I don't know what I will do when I'm in the USA) or rolled oats.  
  • Dessert-My dessert is now a soy hot chocolate.  There is something great about the European's love of hot drinks year round.  I am totally on board.  

4 comments:

{kim} said...

Does this mean you won't be eating el rancho anymore?

Brittany said...

i don't think it will be that hard to stay healthy here. especially since so many people now have special diet needs. there are so many stores that offer a wide variety of foods. you just have to exercise self-control and not go for the easy option.

McKenna said...

This is awesome. You seriously sound so cultured and... just fabulous. I would seriously love to hang out with you and just hear all of your New Zealandisms. Let's make it happen when you return to the land of the free and the home of the brave :)

Anonymous said...

I have some wild grass growing in the back yard. We can chaw on it over a cup of camel thorn tea and fresh sproutes.