Thursday, October 20, 2011

the annoying thing

I am about to tell you my number 1 spot for the most annoying thing one can say.  


"I hate this town.  I can't wait until I can leave here and get away from all the drama.  There is nothing good about this town.  Town X,Y,Z is so much better than life here in this dump. etc. . . "


The above quote is a paraphrased version of a repeated dialogue that I hear more often than I would like. 


 Here is my beef with this attitude:  It is your fault if you have drama.  Your life is what you make it.  The grass is not greener on the other side.  Stop looking for all the negative things when there are far too many positives all around.  I also have beef with the paraphrased comments because I have been on the other side of the pasture/fence.  Newsflash:  It is not greener on the other side.   For real.  The key to happiness in your life, community, family, marriage, and job comes from you.  If you are not happy you need to check yourself first before you call out other people and the whole community you live in.  


Personal application of the above:  I am proud to say that I grew up in the aforementioned town.    From the time I was small I loved everything about this place.  Christmas parades, my dad's basketball games, swimming lessons, city leagues, the library, the bumpy roads, the desert, the sunsets, and the list goes on.  I realized that I am extremely fortunate to have grown up in a family where I was loved.  Not only that, I had teachers, neighbors, and friends who genuinely cared about my well-being and future.  All of these elements made for the perfect recipe of appreciating where I came from and why it made me who I am.  


I left for college and life with an appreciation for the place I grew up.  I held it in high regards and was convinced that there was not a better place to grow up.  When I first brought Jason home to Winslow I was so proud.  I drove him around every street and  proudly gave the grand tour of this place.  He was doomed to like Winslow.  


After living out of Arizona and eventually overseas, my opinion is only more strengthened.  I have seen the posh and modernity of big city life.  I have experienced mountain snow, ocean front property, and desert heat year around.  What I can tell you from these multiple experiences is that brown, green, ocean, desert do not make or break a town.  It is all up to you.   


I might also add that geography is only half of it.   The people of this place truly make it great.  I can give countless examples of good solid people who go out of their way to help each and every day.  


  Jason's name was given to an incoming business as a highly recommended person to hire.  When he interviewed for the job, they told him that his name was already known.  Thank you to the person who put in a good word.


  The wrestling team at my school came to their coaches and principal to ask if they could honor and recognize a very special person that would have been on their team.  This young boy was killed during little league season over the summer.  


Their original idea was to put his name on their wrestling singlets.  Due to AIA rules they were not able to do that, so the team got together and designed a special warm up T-shirt that says his name, weight class, and inspirational messages for the wresting season. 


 After word got around about what they were doing they had to make more shirts.  Today the entire school wore the shirt.  It was a wonderful expression of unity and celebration of life for a boy that should be wrestling.  I list this piece of evidence because it captures how an entire community is affected and then comes together in times of tragedy.  


These are just 2 examples that came to mind.  I could go on and on.  


Cheers



1 comment:

Misty Dunny said...

That was beautifully put, and I could not agree more.