Sunday, May 6, 2012

the new zealand factor

The New Zealand Factor:
the best way to describe the view, perspective, expectation, assumption, observation, and experience of our american lfie

The American Factor:
the best way to describe a, b, c, d, e, and f from above, except that it occurred in our kiwi life.

Everyting we do is influenced by these two factors.  The most mundane of life routines fall subject to these factors. 

Take, for example, the experience we had last week in the yard.  I Arizonaedly assummed that Jason automatically knew that May was the right time to start watering grass.  I also assumed he knew how long, in which way, and how many times per week. 

Why would I assume that? 

He has never had to water grass-or anything living-ever, in his entire life.  His New Zealand life was so abundantly blessed with water that his house was equipped with a special well that captured rain water.  All of their  water use came directly from the sky.  Are you kidding me?

I gave a brief discourse on my limited knowledge of grass care in Arizona.  He now knows that you do not even skip one day when it comes to caring for living things in this harsh climate.

The New Zealand Factor.

On this same afternoon we found a huge collection pile of tumbleweeds.  They had all gathered in the corner of the fence due to being blown around all spring.  As I started to remove them, I realized Jason was once again facing something new.  Tumbleweeds have a special place in my heart.  Referring back to our story, tumbleweeds were a huge conversation starter on that first  beach walk we took together when I was a BYU girl.  He asked me if tumbleweeds were real or if they were just movie props. 

The New Zealand Factor.

Have you ever noticed that public events with more than 20 people or so will include the Pledge of Allegiance, The National Anthem, or both?  Well, you probably have not noticed that because of The American Factor.  However, ask a Kiwi about his experiences at public events and he will tell you that Americans have a salute, moment of silence, Pledge of Allegiance, National Anthem, and who knows what else just to start a City Council meeting or T- ball game.  I truly never noticed these things until I found myself sitting next to a handsome foreigner who still has not decided what the protocol is.  Does he salute too?  Does he sing along?  Does he not because he is not truly an American?  Either way you look at it--

The New Zealand Factor.

You do realize that this post could go on and on.  I have about 997 examples in my pocket of New Zealand and American Factors in my life.  The point here is that every single day something new is introduced to one of us.  I am not kidding.  There is still so much to share from our respective cultures and countires.  It is absolutely glorious.  I would not trade this way of life for anything.





1 comment:

Kayla said...

I love that. You two will never have the excuse of being bored in your marriage. I know that kallam and I have had many a conversation, each one of us thinking that what ever our families did was the norm in a situation. I can only imagine that times 10 in your house. I think its awesome. Your kids will be so open minded about the world!