There were plenty of meetings over the summer. However, the first official day of my new job began last week.
Here are some of my findings
- I do feel that I made the right choice. The day to day work reinforces my desire to be part of educational leadership.
- I am finding that I get to do items thrown at me from many different people. I am having to learn how to prioritize items and manage a to do list that balloons by the hour. Teaching offers the same thing, but this time it is on a school wide basis instead of a classroom basis.
- Most of what I do revolves around assessment and data dis-aggregation.
- Now more than ever I have to watch my mouth. In no situation is it okay to be negative or foul mouthed about a colleague. I am finding that this alone is leading to more optimism and positiveness in my work.
- I like the feeling of being able to help someone. When a teacher asks me for help, and I'm able to provide it I feel validated.
- Being the instructional coach at two school sites is challenging. I always felt pulled to the school I am not at so that it doesn't appear like I'm favoring one over the other.
- I have had to present several pieces of information in school-wide meetings.
- I will MISS being a teacher. It has been more than weird to prepare for the first day of school in a different way. Instead of working on seating charts and class expectations, I am working on ways to implement school wide growth and materials to target AIMS weak areas.
Of course there is more to mention here. In addition to starting a new job, I am trying to give 100% of myself in every little aspect in my life.
Here is my day to day.
5:11am-alarm clock goes off
5:30-run with sister (4-6 miles)
6:20-ab work, push ups, any last minute exercises to fit in before Callum is up
6:42 ish-Callum is awake. Finish getting ready while he hopefully will sit still. yeah right.
7:00-devoted attention to Callum. Feed him, play with him, talk to him until it is time to go
7:30-the hard goodbye, arrive at the office
9:30-pump milk to refrigerate for tomorrow morning
12:30-speed race home to feed Callum
1:00-speed race back to work
3:30-do my best to leave work on time
3:31-reunited with my baby
8:04-Callum is ready for bed. cuddle him until he falls asleep
3:30a-wake up call to feed Callum
5:11a-it begins again!
This will be even more fun when my fall classes start in August!